Child with fever, sore on the gum and tongue. Not able to eat. Herpes?

Hi my two year old has had a temperature for five days, sores behind his top teeth and gums and now on his bottom teeth and tongue now some spots are turning black on his gums between his teeth. He hasn't been able to eat much for five days and his mouth smells horrible. Went to doctor today and he prescribed antibiotics for tonsilitis however I would like a second opinion as he had a quick look in his mouth and didn't look at the sores behind his teeth. From my research I thought he must have herpes of the mouth. Please help.
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013