Child with a bruised bump due to fall. History of blood clots, premature childbirth. Concerned

Hi my daughter has just fell and the bump went in the way instead of out. I m worried because she was 14 weeks prem and has already had blood clots. She seems to be ok though she took a drink of milk but seemed a bit drowsy , I put her down for a sleep but she wouldn t go to sleep and now seems bright as a button again. The bump has now came out the way and bruised.
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response
Thank you for the query
The danger signs after any injury to head for which we definitely like to go for a CT Scan brain are
1. Loss of consciousness
2. Nasal or ear bleed
3. Vomiting
4. Seizures
As your baby seems to have none of these, you may just observe her closely and go to ER only if she seems drowsy again. Keep her hydrated. Put some cold compresses over the bruise but it will take some time to go. Give her paracetamol (15mg/kg/dose) every 8 hrly for 2 days. She should do alright
Hope that helps
God bless you

Pediatrician Dr. Synthyia Bhagat's  Response
Child has bruised bump.
I suggest you to apply cold compresses over bruised area.
Give acetamonophen for pain relief.
Observe for warning signals that is;
any change in behavior,bleeding from ear or nose.abnormal moments.vomiting.
In case you observe any take her to ER.

Wishing your baby good health.
God bless..

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
The bump is due to formation of hematoma in scalp layers out side the skull.
As the became active nothing to worry.
But observe for her sensorium, for vomitings, bleeding from ear, nose and drowsiness and decreased movements and if you find any abnormality take her to emergency.
If there is no problem, consult your Pediatrician for a examination to find any abnormal signs.
Hope I have answered your query.