Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Child swallowed dettol. Reddish rash on the cheeks and mouth. Need treatment?

My 2 year old son sprayed dettol multi cleaner on his face and swallowed a small amount. There opis no bleach in the cleaner. I cleaned his face straight away with water and he has had a shower since as well. He now has a red rash on his cheeks and around his mouth. He is not showing any discomfort even when I touch it.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  833
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician, Neonatology 's  Response
Hello... You have done a great job by cleaning it with water immediately. As there are no other symptoms except the rash on face there is no need to worry. The concentrated chemicals will lead to allergic manifestations. Your baby needs clinical examination and if needed he will be prescribed antihistamines by your doctor.
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. Diana Divakar's  Response
Hi Mrs. Betty,
Thank you for posting your query on and giving us this opportunity to clarify your doubts.
Well, dettol mainly contains chloroxylenol which when consumed in large amounts can be aspirated into the lungs and causing breathing difficulty and respiratory arrest. But for aspiration, it has be sufficient amount. Just licking is unlikely to cause anything. In any case, keep a watch on his breathing pattern. With the earliest sign of any difficulty, you might have to take him to the ER. This complication can happen a little late too, so better to be under observation for atleast 24 hours.

Dettol is also notorious to cause neurological effects like drowsiness and lethargy. Keep a watch on his mental status and his activities. Do not force him to vomit by any means.

The rash must be just contact dermatitis due to direct contact of the chemical with his face. You can apply some skin smothening and moisturising agent. It should resolve.

Hope I have helped you to get over your doubts and I will be available in case of further queries. Take care and stay healthy.
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. Synthyia Bhagat's  Response
Thanks for your query,
Dettol is a common household product.It has a corrosive action on gastrointestinal tract,depressant action on central nervous system,and problem is related with aspiration.
Your child came in contact with small amount of dettol, so do not worry.
redness on cheeks and around mouth is due to its corrosive action wash the area with plenty of water,give him plenty of water to drink,
In case symptoms persist take him to ER,
Your child will be fine,
God bless,
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Polash Sannigrahi's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello dear..
The rash may be due to allergic reaction of the skin to the Dettol multicleaner.
This is a self limiting condition, but for faster recovery you can use a mild moisturizer like Cetaphil.
There is no need to worry...he will be fine.
Wishing a good health.
Thanks & take care
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor