Child suffering with diabetes, has difficulty in passing urine, trace of ketones. What does this imply?

Hi, my 7 yr. old son is a type 1 diabetic. He woke up this a.m. with a bg of 64. Since then, his bgs all day have been between 289 and 399 at school. When he got home he had trace ketones , but had a REALLY hard time peeing. I was there. It came out in fits and starts and he was grunting with the effort of pushing out the urine . I m not sure if the two issues are related, but I m putting them in because they are both unusual occurrences. So, 2 questions: First, what would cause this medium pain (his words) and physical difficulty when peeing &, second, do I need to worry about ketone build-up if he s having a hard time urinating? Thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013