Child not eating well. Keeps food in mouth. Giving Cypon drops and Papytazyme. Recommendations?

My daughter is 2yrs 4monhs old. Her birth weight is 2.6kg and now she is 10.5kg. She doesn't eat any junk foods like sweets, chocolates, biscuits etc. But still she is not feeling hungry at all. Each time we need to force her to have her food or milk. She always have her food in her mouth for a long time and finally she will swallow it instead of chewing or biting the food. I am very much worried about her food. She doesn't have a sound sleep too. my doctor advised to give cypon drops and also he gave me papytazyme syprup for a week. He said this itself will solve this pb.
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013

Thank you for your query.

Cypon drops may help in increasing the appetite. However you should not force her to eat. As a parent I can understand your concern but the child will behave in the manner described by you if you force her. No one can remain hungry and let her demand it. Give her meals at the appropriate time and if she does not have it remove the plate. Offer it again after half an hour.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Children around this age group have less appetite in comparison to the previous days.

The growth rate in in the second year of life decrease normally and in parallel to this decreased growth rate, the decrease in appetite is normal.

And the focus of the child diverts to on play, exploration, and managing things with autonomy.

So the child will show less interest to take food.

Nothing to worry if the child is healthy, active, and playful as this is a common phenomenon in this age group.

What you need is patience and tricks to feed the child.

Don't force the child to eat and forceful feeding always results in aversion of food and in a reaction in a opposite way.

The medication given for appetite may have transient effect.

I advise you to feed in the following ways:

1. Give one spoon to the child another spoon to the mother while feeding.

2. High chair at dining will improve the child behavior to take feeds

3. Encourage the child to take his own feed.

Hope I have answered your query.