Child having throat pain, swollen. Hurts to swallow, cough. What could this be?

My 5yr old son suddenly started crying saying that his throat really hurt! It hurt to swallow , cough , etc. He did not eat/ingest anything and did not have a fever . I looked at his throat and his tonsils were extremely swollen. They looked like little water balloons, almost touching, very smooth. I gave him a sucrets, and we left for Urgent Care. About 10 mins later, he said that he felt better. Just as quickly as it happened, it was back to normal! Is this a sign of anything??
Asked On : Sat, 22 Dec 2012