Child having red eyes after rubbing the eyes with eucalyptus oil on hand. Will it cause any side effects?

Hi, my 19 month old daughter touched Eucalyptus oil and rubbed her eyes, she was crying for 3/4 minutes, but then in that time, we cleaned her eyes with water again and again. and now her eye is reddish but now she does not seems to be irritated any more, its night time and she just slept. all i am wondering if her eye will be soar tomorrow morning ? ? ? or any other bad side effects
Asked On : Tue, 11 Sep 2012
Hi there.

Thanks for writing in.

Eucalyptus oil on contact with the eye must have caused some inflammation, namely chemical conjunctivitis. The mainstay of treatment is rinsing the eye with plenty of clean water.

You did the right thing by rinsing your daughter's eyes with water. Most probably it might get better on its own, since she is sleeping quite well and not experiencing pain/ irritation at the moment.

I would advise you to take your daughter to an ophthalmologist if symptoms of eye pain, itching/ irritation,redness persists. This is to rule out any eye damage which then might require steroid drops if advised by the ophthalmologist.

Hope this helps

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan