Child having protruding spot on lower spine, reddens on getting out of car seat. Alarming?

Hi. My 3 year old son has a spot on his lower spine that protrudes. Occasionally when I get him out of his car seat the area where it protrudes is reddened. I took him to his Pediatrician who upon examining the site, asked me to bring him back in 2 weeks to recheck the area. I asked her if it could be serious and she told me she highly doubted it but would not tell me what she thought it could be ad acted concerened. My son is perfectly normal and healthy, vibrant, active and athletic so he is on the skinny side. Is the lower part of his spine showing normal for kids his age HELP!
Asked On : Sun, 26 Aug 2012