Child has salter2 fracture. X-ray shows periosteal reaction. Is surgery needed?

My 7 year old daughter has a commuinted distal radial fracture with displacement and it is called a salter2 fracture this happened due to a fall on 10-31-12.The Othro put her in a long cast 11-1-12 after he held her wrist at an angle until the cast harden. We then went for another x ray and he said the bone was in line pretty good and to come back 11-8-12 for another x ray. We did and the x ray stated the fracture has not moved but she has periosteal reaction and there is questionable healing . We go back tomorrow for another x ray and visit. The doctor said she still may need surgery. I am just so worried and just the sound of what kind of break it is scares me. What is the percentage she may need surgery. They said if she does have surgery the pins will be on the outside of her arm ..What does all this really mean?
Asked On : Sun, 18 Nov 2012