Child has priapism, taken injections and draining. Is bruising on penis normal?

My 10 year old son had his first episode of low flow priapism on 8/3/2012. The erection began at 630 am that we are aware of and at 1pm they started injections and draining none of which worked. At 530 he was sent to the operating room where the same procedures were done but per the dr a little more aggressive. Thankfully that rectified the priapism. Today it has been 4 days and the bruising is solid purple on both the shaft and the head. My question is this normal or should i be concerned about the tissue possibly dying. Currently we are unaware of what caused the priapism...again we know that it was low flow and blood tests were done of which we are waiting. To date other than the normal cough and cold he has been a healthy child who has healed normally from all viruses and injuried (ex broken wrist in 2nd grade). Any information would be helpful as you can imagine we are scared of the possible causes and possible damage the length of time the erection may have caused. Kim
Asked On : Sat, 11 Aug 2012