Child has chronic stomach pain, abdominal cramps, no other symptoms. Family history of gastrointestinal issues. Cause?

My 11 yr old daughter has been having chronic stomach pains for the past 6-9 months. She s been seen by her pediatrician 3 or 4 times. I was told it could be her body preparing for her menstrual cycle, a stomach bug,stress, etc. I don t believe it s stress, she s very open about expressing her feelings and insists that s not it. She enjoys school,has plenty of friends and is very social. She doesn t mind going to school, she just hates waking up. We are in the process of eliminating dairy to see if that s the problem, but I don t think it is. At the same time we re treating it as acid reflux , giving antacids when stomach pain starts. It s hard to tell if they help, because the pain goes away within a short time period, with or without the antacids. She has severe stomach cramps/pain, in the center of the abdomen. Her stomach is not hard or distended, no pain when pressure is applied. There are no other symptoms. No nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation. No cold symptoms, no fever or headache, no other aches or pains. She has normal daily bowel movements, no blood in stool , although she does say sometimes going to the bathroom makes her stomach feel better. She says its hard to describe the type of pain, but it seems mostly like a sharp/stabbing/gripping pain. The incidents usually last about 30 mins to an hour then go away. Sometimes it occurs multiple times a day, sometimes once a week. Most times the pain begins within 20 mins of eating, but sometimes it happens when she hasn t eaten anything. The worst and most common time is in the morning after she eats breakfast. She s very active, has a healthy weight/height proportion (4 10 / 86 lbs) She does gymnastics, 6 hrs per week. She doesn t have the best diet, preferring processed foods over fresh and loves candy and chocolate. She doesn t like most vegetables, but will eat green beans, broccoli and salad. She really cant have fruit due to allergies. She usually only drinks chocolate milk or bottled water. She sometimes adds a packet of crystal light or koolaid to the water bottle. No soda and very rarely juice. She eats cheese, hates yogurt and eggs. Does not take multi vitamins or any supplements. Family history: I have a duodenal ulcer. Borderline high cholesterol (hereditary). No food allergies . Her father has a history of gastrointestinal issues. Lactose/ dairy sensitivity.
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
With the description of the child symptoms of pain abdomen, it is looking like recurrent pain abdomen of childhood.
A routine complete blood picture, sedimentation rate, stool tests for parasites especially giardia and urine analysis can be done as a screening study.
Consult your Pediatrician for the detailed history of symptoms and a thorough physical examination and basic screening investigations and ultrasound abdomen, if this evaluation is normal nothing to worry as there will be no major underlying problem.
Be in regular follow up with the Pediatrician to detect any underlying organic cause.
Hope i have answered your query.