Child has bleeding from pinhole in chest. Applied ice. Cause?

My son woke up couple weeks ago bleeding from a small pin size hole on his chest , dont know how the hole got there. We couldn t get it to shop bleeding, bleed for about 8 hours, finially we put ice on it and it quite. A small scab forms but if it comes off from showering it starts to bleed again. Ice will stop it, nothing else. Can you tell me what would cause it? The hole or why it wont stop bleeding.
Asked On : Sat, 27 Oct 2012
Pediatrician, Neonatology 's  Response
Your case is really interesting. Did you find any injury due to some pointed object / some foreign body still left inside the wound?
Please visit a pediatrician as soon as possible.
You have not said about the amount of blood coming out. If it is severe, your child needs urgent hospitalization.
However, bleeding for 8 hours is exceptional. It may be due to bleeding diatheses (An abnormality in blood clotting system). So, get him examined as suggested by your doctor.
Do not delay, it could be an emergency.