Shin injury. Lump and pain. Applied ice. Cause?

So I got kicked by my brother accidentally, he kicked me in my shin about 6 hours ago and I didn t really check it since about 30 minutes ago. Well I saw a giant bump/lump. It has hurt dice he kicked me really bad. I have never felt this type of pain. Right now it is elevated and ice is on it, but it still hurts really bad. I was wondering how its cause and if I am doing the right thing for it?
Asked On : Tue, 27 Nov 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Hi thanks for the query.
the complaints you had described like severe pain on your shin bone could be pretty bad injury to the bone underlying. the swelling or bump is due to localized collection of blood and inflamed tissue. I advice you to consult local orthopedic surgeon who can advice you an x ray. Continue elevation of limb and local ice application till the pain settles. Your doctor can prescribe you some analgesics to alley the pain.