Child diagnosed as calcaneal valgus, knee hurting. Should go for subtalar spacer (STS) implant?

My 6 year old son has been told that he has calcaneal valgus . He has been complaining about his knee hurting and they have pushed it off to growing pains!!! Was told if it keeps hurting to bring him back in so that what we have done so the dr sent us to a podiatry and he told us that my son has calcaneal valgus and that we had 2 options which was inserts or putting in a sts Subtalar spacer implant so we are really at a stand still not sure what to do!! can you please give me some advice and some more info on it.. I am tired of seeing him in pain it has gotton so bad that it wakes him up in the middle of the night crying in his sleep.
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jun 2012
flexible flat feet occur in 50 percent of children and are usually painless. 23 percent of adults have flat feet. if the feet are flat and painless they do not require any treatment. if they are flat and stiff or painful your son should see an orthopaedist and have XRays and possibly an MRI or CT scan as there are diagnosis such as tarsal coalition and juvenile idiopathic arthritis that can present in this way. the pain in his knee may or may not be related to his foot problem.