Child constantly popping head due to pain. X ray normal. What could it be?

My 6 year old is constantly popping her neck . Not because she wants to, but because she says it hurt. The way that she does it is to quickly tilt her forehead upward as if she were throwing her head back. This creates a sound in the back of her neck that sounds like a combination of popping and two bones rubbing together. She is constantly complaining of pain. She had an x ray but the Dr. didn t see anything broken, out of place, or abnormal. I first noticed this when she was about 6 months old. I brought it to the attention of the Dr. of that time and was told that her bones were probably still forming and that she would grow out of it. It did stop for a while, but several years later, it started again and she now can t stop. What could this be? What should I do?
Asked On : Mon, 3 Dec 2012