Child been pale, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, weight loss. Can online doctor help?

Our friends have a seven year old girl who has been pretty pale, has had mid abdominal pain, loss of appetite, weight loss for over a month. The pediatrician says it is something going around but we are quite concerned. I meant to say for over 2 months, since the end of January

I am trying to sign out of your site without success. What is going on?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Loss of appetite and weight loss that persists for 2 months is concerning. If it was due to a virus that is was going around then it should resolved, it is unlikely to last this length of time.

An infection involving any of the structures within the abdomen should also have either resolved or worsened to the point she would have required immediate care, for example if the pain was related to appendicitis which would have been untreated, by now she would have required treatment in a hospital.

Chronic abdominal pain in children can be related to peptic disorders (reflux esophagits, ulcer in the stomach or duodenum), constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, abdominal migraine or functional abdominal pain.

Her parents may want to consider taking her for a second opinion if they are unsatisfied with the diagnosis. A careful history needs to be taken to find out the exact nature of any symptoms she is experiencing and imaging is required.

I hope this helps

Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

If a child is looking pale anemia could be one of the various causes. Basic investigation like Hb prescribed by your doctor will help in finding out if your child is having anemia or not.

Some times anemia can also cause loss of appetite.

What is the weight loss suffered by your kid over this one month period?

Does she have any fever?
How are her stools?

Your child definitely requires through examination and investigations to arrive at a diagnosis.

Hope this helps.