Chest pain, deep raspy breathing, skin started to turn yellow on unhooking the machines keep for heart beat. Reason?

my boyfriend just recently died and his skin started to turn yellow. they still dont know a cause of death but we went to the emergancy room because he said he had alot of pain in his chest . all of his levels( blood presure, oxygen , pulse , ext.) were fine. before he died he would take a deep raspy breath in and just lay there without any movement for awhile then take another deep breath in. why they unhooked him from the machines keeping his heart beating and his lungs working his skin started to turn yellow. what could cause that to happen? i know that he did alot of drungs and drank alot but the night he died he hadnt had very much to drink (alcohol wise) and hadnt done any drugs. his mother told me that he had hepatits c. could that affect his death when he was complaining of chest pain?
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013