Change in voice, hoarseness and difficulty in speaking. Vocal test showing overuse. Permanent voice loss chances?

Hello Doctor
My name is aarti. I am 32 yrs of age, female and a lecturer by profession. From last few days, I noticed a change in my voice, hoarseness and feel stress and difficulty to speak. I consulted a doc and he said that i should give a vocal rest as i am overusing it otherwise i ll loose my voice permanently. I m so scared as my career will be ruined. Pls suggest me some precautions and remedies. Do I really have tospeak less for my whole life? Kindly suggest. I m so worried.
My e mail s-
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013