Cannot quickly translate sound into meaningful words, may have hearing problem

Hi I think I may have a hearing problem. All my life I have had to ask people to repeat what they say to me, often several times (embarrassing!!). Weirdly it is not that I cannot hear the sound of their voice just that I cannot quickly translate the sound into meaningful words and phrases. Frequently after I have asked them to repeat themselves I will hear their voice played back in my head and can then understand it (in the pause before they repeat themselves). I can t make people out at all if they mumble, have a strong accent or if there is background music on. I generally find I cannot even think my own thoughts clearly if there is background music on. I also become unable to understand what I am reading.
Asked On : Mon, 10 Sep 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
hello. it seems that you may be having what is called a central auditory processing disorder. in this condition a person can hear sounds but ay not be completely able to understand them. i would recommend you see a good ENT / audiologist in your area , he will do the necessary testing and treat you further. thanks