Can the tumor in liver be cancerous as the tumor has developed in 6 months time ?

My father is 78 year old ,diabetic .During the utra sound scanning it has been noted a tumour of size 5cm X 3cm in the lever slightly pushing the nerves .But the alphaprotein test has found negetive,The doctor is asking to carry out a biopsy of lever.As one of the kidney is smaller in size Ct scan is less sugetive.this tumour has developed may be witin 6 monts as earlier scanning reports befor 6 months,no indication regarding this tumour.Is it necessary to carry out a biopsy ,may be this will lead in to bleeding .Is this tumour can be canceruos.Awating reply
Asked On : Sun, 11 Mar 2012