Can i take simvastatin for high cholesterol while i am suffering from upper respiratory infection ?

i am 51 and just had my blood work done. I am a female. my total cholestrol is 245 and my ldl is 174. My sugar is 110. I am 5ft.1 and weigh 165lbs. My doctor put me on 40mg. of simvastatin once a day, and on a diet . I have taken it for 6 days and i am going to stop taking it. The side effects are very scary from wht i am reading. I also have a terrible case of upper respiratory infection going on at the same time i started this med. I feel sick in my stomach and am coughing and wheezing. I want to try to get my cholestrol down through diet and exercise instead of this terrible med. I think 40mg. is too high of a dose. What do you think? Thank you I am terrified to continue taking this drug.
Asked On : Wed, 4 May 2011