Can diabetes cause diarrhea ?

can diabetes couse diarrhea
Asked On : Mon, 23 May 2011
Diabetologist 's  Response
hello edmond,welcome to HCM.
yes,diabetes is associated with diarrhoea in few of patients.but it responds to blood glucose control,if it is due to neuropathy associated with diarhoea.
if in spite of optimum blood sugar control,diarhoea persists.it should be properly evaluated by a physician/gastroenterologist.thanks
to learn more visit totaldiabetescure.blogspot.com

General Surgeon Dr. Rajinder Bajoria's  Response
Hello
Thanks for query
As un controlled diabetes exposes one to more infection ,so diarrhea can also occur.
Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.
Dermatologist Dr. Gaurav Patel's  Response
hi edmond
it is possible to have diarrhea in patient of diabetes.
Patients with a longstanding history of diabetes may experience frequent diarrhea, and this has been reported to occur in up to 22% of patients.
This may be related to problems in the small bowel or colon.
Abnormally rapid transit of fluids may occur in the colon, leading to increased stool frequency and urgency.
In addition, abnormalities in the absorption and secretion of colonic fluid may develop, leading to increased stool volume, frequency, and water content

The workup and treatment of diarrhea is similar in patients with or without diabetes. If the basic medical evaluation of diarrhea is nondiagnostic, which it frequently is, then treatment is tailored toward providing symptomatic care with antidiarrheal agents such as diphenoxylate (Lomotil) or loperamide (Immodium).
Fiber supplementation with bran, Citrucel, Metamucil, or high-fiber foods may also thicken the consistency of the bowel movement and decrease watery diarrhea. In addition, antispasmodic medicines such as hyosymine (Levsin), dicyclomine (Bentyl), and chordiazepoxide (Librax)/clindinium (Clindex) may decrease stool frequency
Diabetologist Dr. Rajesh Yadav's  Response
Hello
Welcome to HCM forum
Diabetes can cause diarrhea. It is one of complication of diabetes. It falls in macrovascular copmlication. This condition is called as diabetes gastropathy. The treatment is to taKe high fibre diet.drink lots of water. If sever than take tab erythromycin. And consult your diabetologist thanks

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.