Can alcohol consumption lead to elevated liver enzymes?

My liver enzymes where high and my surgery was cancel I drink alcohol more than I should and I m overweight I m 56 years old had the test done yesterday for my surgery and enzyme levels where to high I drank the night before 3 shots of chivas and had 5 cans of limarita small cans could that have raised it ?
Asked On : Sat, 23 Aug 2014
Radiologist 's  Response
Apr 2014
Hello

Yes,alcohol consumption may lead to elevated liver enzymes like SGPT,GGT.
GGT is specific for alcoholic liver injury.
It is important to know other parameters of liver function test like bilirubin level etc.
You may need few more investigations like viral markers and ultrasound of abdomen.
You should also try to control your weight.

If SGPT,GGT are raised then I suggest tablet ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg twice daily for three months to my patients.It helps in regeneration of liver cells.

You should also try to avoid alcohol completely.This is must for you.

Take Care
Dr.Indu Bhushan