Burning on urination and all day long, odd smell. Took UTI, yeast infection treatment, no help. What else is the issue ?

Hi I have been having burning not only on urination but all all day long also an odd smelling urine I am unable to explain the smell but it isn t ammonia smelling like an infection. I sometimes have this problem for weeks and other times it goes away for a few days and have had this problem for the past 2 yrs consistently. I have been to the drs. several times and been on medicine for UTI s right to yeast infection but nothing has worked, I have had my bladder scoped for cancer that was neg. When my urine is tested it shows dehydration but yet I drink constantly to ease the burning and at times only go scant amounts and other times constantly have to go after bouts of not being able to empty my bladder. I had a mesh sling put in around the time the symptoms started. Could you tell me if that could be the problem or if there maybe another issue going on?
Asked On : Fri, 1 Mar 2013
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

The possible causes for your presentation could be the following:
-UTI (in your case, if it is indeed a UTI, adequate treatment with a sufficient dosage and duration of antibiotic therapy will be required. Please request for a urine analysis along with a urine culture to help treat your condition)
-Genital infections (some of these infections can present or be complicated by UTI's, treating this condition will ensure complete recovery and will prevent the recurrence of UTI's in the future)
-Diabetes (can also lead to frequent urination and UTI's, please get your glycaemic profile checked)
-STD's (can also present with a similar presentation)
-Fungal infections (diagnosing the right infection-causing organism and accordingly treating it will only relieve you of your symptoms)

In my opinion, the causes could be numerous, but simple investigations can find the cause. Please get an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound to rule out/diagnose a few conditions, blood glycaemic profile, urine analysis and urine culture, STD profile. These investigations should all greatly help.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.