Bump on the right side of left knee, pops when bent. Had surgery on knee for cartilage problem. What to do ?

Hi a few weeks ago o had sugury on my left knee for a cartilge problem. The surgury when t good and it has been healing nicely but a week after i fell down a step going down stairs and my left leg didnt move but preformed a normal bending motion and a week after that a bump appered on the right side of my left knee it is slitly above my knee and when it pops out it makes bending my leg hard so i try to keep it stait. But I just dont under stand what it is.
Asked On : Tue, 30 Oct 2012
Hi there.

Your symptoms seem to be related to either of the two causes :
firstly it may be due to bursitis which means inflammation of the bursa around the knee.

secondly it may be due to localised collection of blood also known as hematoma.

In either case you will have to go to your operating surgeon and get yourself evaluated.
kindly get the swelling aspirated and send the fluid for culture and sensitivity report.

If only blood is aspirated then you need not to worry. Rest , ice packs, compression bandaging will do the trick.

I hope my advice has helped.
Good luck