Bruising on the legs after exertion. Is it normal?

I am 59 years old and just began working with my daughter who is a personal trainer at a local wellness center. She has started me slowly on cardio equipment and some weight training. I've noticed some bruising on my legs, most noticeably on my left leg. I wasn't terribly concerned, but my husband is very worried. (He is a real mother hen when it comes to me.) Now he has my daughter concerned. One of my questions is whether or not the vein stripping I had done on my left leg 24 years ago might be one of the reasons why my left leg is bruising more. (I had a very difficult delivery of a large baby and a superficial clot that appeared in the left leg about a week later. The veins were stripped two years after that.)

My daughter is concerned that I might have a repeat of the clot, but I've not been concerned since the clot I had was a superficial one.

Have you heard of others who have experienced bruising following exercise? I've been mostly on the treadmill and stationary bike. I've also done some weight training to strengthen my hips and legs (bilateral hip replacement seven years ago).

Any feedback you can give me will be very helpful. I hate to run to my physician's office if this is fairly typical and not really a problem.

Thank you so much.

- Jacquee
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013