Bruised on both sides of neck. Pain when swallowing. Thyroid ultrasound and thyroid tests- normal. What could it be?

Hi I am a 20 year old female, I have the sensation that something is in my throat/neck when I swallow. I have also noticed bruising on both the left and right sides of my neck that is painful with/without touching them. My recent thyroid ultrasound showed no thyroid enlargement but found 2 small nodules (I have had many in the past). Recent thyroid function tests are normal. If the problem is not the thyroid, what else could be causing the pain and bruising?
Asked On : Sun, 7 Apr 2013