Broke L radius or ulna. On metal plates and pains. Why the swelling and pain?

I was in a car accident 8 years ago. Broke L radius/ulna. They put metal plates/pins in on both sides of the arm (one in line with pinky and one with thumb ). It has recently started swelling and hurting extremely bad. I take ibuprophen and it will mostly go away for a couple hours, then back to full blast. It does hurt to move both myself and have it moved by someone else. Also hurts to touch as if its bruised, though no visible bruising.
Asked On : Sat, 22 Sep 2012