Born with mild spina bifilar, loss of sensation in foot, extensive osteomyelitis and septic arthritis. What can be done?

Hello I am a 50 yr old woman. I was born with mild spina bifilar and apart from having no feeling in my right foot I led a normal childhood. when I was 28 I had 3 toes amputated due to suspected osteomyelitis. I had severe pain and fever in November and have been onClarithromycin 250mg taking 2 twice a day since then. Ihave just had the results of an MRI scan on my foot and ankle it says, extensive osteomyelitis and septic arthritis involving the whole of the rest of the foot. The tibia is spared, there may be disease in the talus, there is no drainable collection What does this mean in plain English, my surgeon at the hospital is pushing for a below the knee amputation . Is ther any alternative treatment or is amputation inevitable. Can I stay on antibiotics indefinitely without compromising the rest of my health, any advise would be much appreciated thank you
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013