Bony nodes on the roof of the mouth. Have swelling. What are these?

Hi. I went to ENT today. Right at the back of the roof of the mouth (after the teeth finish by 2 cm when you follow the gum line) there is a boney type nodes on both sides of the upper palate which are identical (little lumps). However the left one is swollen, more money in feel and hurts and I can feel the bone with my tongue on this side and irritates when swallowing. The right side is fine and smooth. The ENT consultant said not to worry and not to touch it as it bruises but should settle down. He told me what the nodes are called and that they are not removed, however I forgot what he said they were called. Please advise their names. Will the boney feel ever return back to a smooth feel? Thanks
Asked On : Tue, 23 Apr 2013