Bone cancer, has blood in urine from catheter, no clots, seems to be good one day and tired the other. Reason?

My father is83 nineteen months ago he had his prostate removed and was told there was no cancer - he was ok but we lost our 13 yr old son and the shock of that and looking after my mother who has dementia took its toll and on 31 dec 2012 he was feeling weak and was peeing blood his GP sent him to the hospital by ambulance - at first they told us the MRI showed new tumours and that he would only have a week or so - so the whole family flew from uk to Spain - they had made a mistake and the doctor said they were blood clots and operated to disperse them. They put a catheter in which took over an hour to insert. We collected the path report from the doctor who omitted to put it with his notes and it stated that the prostate had20 0/0 cancer. He then did a dye through the body and informed us that he had bone cancer . We have him at home now and he is peeing blood which is mixed with urine from the catheter and outside of it there don t seem to be any clots but we don t understand why he is bleeding from the penis . My father has always been a very fit healthy active man who is currently unable to stand or even sit unaided - he seems to have one good day and then any exertion causes him to sleep and not eat or even be able to hold a conversation please can you explain why thanks the wright family YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013