Blood clots coming out of nose. Not able to breathe. What are the risks? How to get cured?

My mum has large blood clots coming out of her nose . She has been putting pressure on the nose and they bleeds eventually stop, but it forms a clot and she can t breathe, so she then dislodges the clot and the nose bleeds again. The clots are very large and I was wondering if they would cauterise her nose or if maybe it is something more sinister which should be investigated. She doesn t have any other symptoms. Her GP told her to go to the hospital and have it cauterised.
Asked On : Wed, 4 Jul 2012