Black stool, EGD, ferrous sulphate, risk of perforating stomach lining, iron pills, respiratory arrest

My Mom takes Ferrous Sulfate once a day and this is causing her stool to be black in color. We went to see a Gastrologist and they want to do a EGD but she is 87 and weighs 90 lbs. I am afraid of the risk of perforating her stomach lining. Should we do this procedure? Can she just take the iron pills every other day instead of once a day? My mom has a pacemaker that was installed back in January of this year and she suffered a respiratory arrest 3 years ago. She has a very weak heart.
Asked On : Fri, 16 Mar 2012