Black spot on inner arm followed by red ring, rash spreading to other parts. What could it be?

I noticed a Black spot on my inner arm about 10 days ago (it was suddenly) I watched for changes, and about 5 days later, there was a red ring around the black spot. No pain or itching yet. a day later, the black spot came off in the shower, then the Rash began. The size of a quarter. Then each day, it has spread, making a trail. I now have it on my waste area and a spot on my low back and one on my leg. Everyday there are more affected areas. The spread came After the Spot came off. I went to the Derm Dr. and he just game me topical ointment for the arm area, and said to wait 3 days and it should be gone. It is drying up somewhat, but you can still see the small hole in the center of the original spot, and its spreading. What do you think?
Asked On : Fri, 27 Jul 2012