Been through several lumbar punctures, have severe back and leg pain since then, MRI showed disc near the LP degenerated. Meaning?

I m a 22 year old female, usually healthy, but recently I had several lumbar punctures over the past few months. I had a serious head injury and was leaking CSF from my nose . It has since resolved itself. The last LP took almost an hour to complete, and the radiologist went too deep with the needle. I ve suffered from serious pain through my left leg and lower back ever since. I had a spinal mri done and recently saw my surgeon. He told me that the disc where my LP was done has since degenerated significantly (it showed up black on the mri) and that the pain might not go away. What does this mean?
Asked On : Wed, 26 Sep 2012