Been taking Nexium for sore throat, tongue tightness, sleep apnea. Stopped Nexium but after few months having heartburn issues. Suggestions?

I have been taking nexium for years. About 8 months ago I developed a sore throat, a feeing that my tongue was swollen and a tightness, restriction, in my throat. I also was diagnosed with sleep apnea . My md told me I had allergies and had me take Clariton for change. I had sinus surgery years ago and thought I might have a sinus infection . That doctor put me an antibiotic for 2 weeks, no change. I was at my drug store 3 months ago buying my 50th bag of sore throat losengers when I decided to talk with my pharmicist. He looked up what I was taking, Nexium and a thyroid med. He advised me to see my gastro md because the symptoms I am having are listed on Nexium as serious problems. The advice I got from my doctor was to go off Nexium cold turkey and see what happens. Later I found out that this was not good advise. I suffered rebound...but I no longer do apnea, my tongue now fits nicely between my lower teeth and jaw line and I feel rested in the morning. My doctor was rude, completely unhelpful. I do not want to go back on a PPI. I believe stomach acid is needed to digest food and lack of it can cause other health issues. I am female, 64 years old. I would love to get on with my life. I gradually over 3 months weaned myself off of Nexium. I was doing well for a good amount of time but recently have started back with heartburn issues. Am I carazy or can I get a balance without taking a PPI? I just need some help. Judy
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013