Arthritis, high BP, severe leg pain, tests show improperly closing leg valves, advised surgery. What is the treatment, recovery procedure?

My daughter, aged 49 yrs., over 225 lbs., has arthritis , and high BP , has seen a Rheumatologist because she has severe pain in her legs. She tells me the following: he recommends leg surgery on her very prominent varicose veins to place a stint -like mechanism in the legs; tests show her leg valves are not closing properly so blood is flowing back to the heart and causing heart stress; the condition is inherited. I understand her weight has a big impact on the leg pain. Please explain the surgery, and recovery, and are there other options in place of surgery?
Asked On : Wed, 26 Sep 2012