Arm pain, shoulder pain, cannot make sudden moves. What could it be?

At one point when I was in my thirties, both my arms began to hurt when I lifted them; this lasted maybe a couple of months, but the pain went away all of the sudden. Now I m 48 and the pain is back, but this time it doesn t go away. It started again, mainly in my right shoulder; I have to accommodate my arm in certain way before I could move it, I cannot make any sudden moves with it. But, now the pain is traveling down my arm up to my elbow , in both arms, but mostly my right one. What could it be?
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jun 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
It can be impingment syndrome. I would recommend you to get MRI of the shoulder to see what is compressing, or is there any bursitis. After that plan of management can be decided. I would also like to recommend you hot water fomentation, Volini gel local application and Brufen tablet for pain relief. You should also opt for physiotherapy , and there is role of steroid injection as well.