Any serious side effects from having an expired copper coil for long?

I have had the Copper Coil a contraception for 6 years and 2 months. (I initially thought it would last 10 yrs but was recently told it s actually only valid for 5 years). I m due to have it removed within the next 2 weeks but I was wondering whether there are any serious side effects from having the expired coil for so long? I m particularly concerned as my husband & I are planning to try for a baby in the next 6 mths or so. I have also been experiencing sporadic pain in the right side of my abdomin, occasional pain during sex & increased unpleasant vaginal discharge over the past few mths.
Asked On : Wed, 8 Aug 2012
Hello and welcome to HCM,     
I am Dr Nilajkumar a consultant gynecologist and I will be helping you in your queries.

I understand your concern.
Most of the time the coil does not cause any harm. In some cases there may be an infection. The infection does not come from the coil itself, but if any organism gains entry inside then it increases the chance of infection.

The symptoms of unpleasant discharge indicate an infection. So please see your doctor and get a vaginal swab test done to rule out infection as soon as possible. Antibiotics will help in curing it [ obtained after prescription and hence the need to see your doctor as soon as possible] and then you may conceive.

Hope this was helpful.
Feel free to ask any further queries and I will be happy to help.
Thanks for using HCM.
Have a good day.
Dr Nilajkumar Bagde          
Consultant Obstetrics and Gynecology