Ankle injury. X-ray shows sprain. Numb and cold toes and foot. Worried

I fell down the stairs pretty hard on Sunday, it is now Friday, I landed on my ankle/ foot . I went to the ER on Monday because I could not put any weight on my foot, they took an x-ray of my ankle and said it was bad a sprain . They put me in an air cast, told me to use crutches for a week, ice and elevate. By Wednesday my foot and toes were numb and really cold , I read the discharge and it said to come back if numbness, cold, or blue toes happened. I did not want to go back but by Friday it was worse, throbbing and so cold and pale and this stinging! So I went to the ER again and at first they could not find a pulse in my foot, so they left my cast off for a half an hour and checked again. After probing my foot for what felt like forever, the pain from them pushing on my swollen foot WOW, they found a faint pulse. They concluded that the cast was cutting off my circulation and that my old back injury was causing numbness in my foot. I was like thank god it was nothing major but it has been 8 hours without a cast on and the throbbing and numbness has not gone away. I am worried that I have broken my foot or that I have torn something major in my ankle? I have sprained my ankle before and I do not remember it feeling numb and throbbing on the top of my foot? Is this something that can happen with ankle injuries or should I find a specialist?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013