Acute left back pain radiating to back of arm till ring finger. Due for nerve study, cervical MRI. What could be the reason?

no specific injury, on Friday afternoon I was lifting and moving boxes overhead in garage (appprox 5 hours and then unpacking next day for garage sale). Acute left side Back pain woke me up at 3am Saturday. Continued to worsen throughout day Back pain that starts shoulder pain blade (by wing)that radiates down back of arm, intensely in elbow and down to front of hand above ring ringer and also radiates around under armpit to front under collarbone. Went to ER based on chest, back and arm pain. Ruled out heart problem. Was told probably pinched nerve. Yesterday saw a neurologist who believes it is muscle or tendon since no real numbness or tingling. Am scheduled for a nerve study and Cervical MRI. Pain level from a 6-10 with the spasms. Any ideas or suggestions. Im low income and need to not do any unnessary procedures
Asked On : Sat, 4 Aug 2012