Abnormal periods since trying to conceive, get longer periods than usual. Reason?

Hi Dr. Christening. I have been trying to get pregnant for about 6 months and nothing. I saw my GYN doctor last month. My thin prep pap was normal and so was the examine. My periods are irregular . I skipped two periods last year. I ve tried ovulation kits they show positive. I m 37 years old I will be 38 nex years old next month .My boyfriends is 60 years old. Anyway ,when I get my periods now they range anywhere to 31 to 47, or 50 days., they also are heavier. I just had a period last Thursday. I thought I was finished, but to find out last night I started to bleed again. And this period was longer then usual. This period lasted 8 days. Please give me some advice on what to do, or give some advice to what could be happening. Thanks.
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013
Radiologist 's  Response
You may be suffering from Polycystic ovarian syndrome where you can have irregular periods followed by heavy bleeding. You can skip your periods for two -three months or more. Please get your ultrasound done to rule out adenomyosis as it is also a cause of heavy bleeding. Since you mentioned you are trying to conceive and had heavy bleeding lasting longer than usual and are having delayed bleeding a possibility of miscarriage should be ruled. Had you done a Urine pregnancy test. In case of inability to conceive for 6 mnts in women above 35 yrs should consult a gynaecologist as fertility starts decreasing after 35.