33 year old having type 1 diabetes. Infected nail with pus formation. Can I use antibiotics by myself?

33 y/o healthy female, Type I DM- hangnail since one week ago- noticed small amount purulent drainage (green) today that I drained and that my BS was elevated (390). No other systemic symptoms. Painful to touch but not locally red or overly swollen. Is it okay to watch closely and start using topical antibiotics for a couple of days before calling the MD- given of course, that there is no worsening of symptoms? Thank you!
Asked On : Fri, 31 Aug 2012