1 year old having loose motions every 2 hrs. Shall I give Coligyl syrup ?

Hello Doctor, My son is 1 year old. He is having loose motions from past one day. Two months back for the same problem, Doctor has recommended to give coligyl syrup. Today, my son is having loose motions once is every two hours, ( six times from morning ) but with very little each time. Now, shall I wait for one day or shall i give coligyl syrup
Asked On : Thu, 8 Nov 2012

Thank you for your query.

I would suggest that you wait for some time before starting the medication. You can, in the interim, give him plenty of liquids in the form of ORS, coconut water, butter milk to prevent dehydration and get his stool examination done.

If your son is having loose motions so frequently then I would suggest that you try to find the cause. Some possible causes are:
1. Contaminated water supply
2. Unhygienic feeding practices
Taking care of the cause will prevent repeated attacks of loose motions.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.