what happens if calcium levels are higher?

what does it mean when your doctor tells you your calcium in blood level is high at 1.48?
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

Here is what the "normal ionized calcium of 1.1-1.4 mmol/L" your level was little bit higher then normal by about 0.08 mmol/L.

The amount of total calcium varies with the level of serum albumin, a protein to which calcium is bound.

But the level is to small as compare to be taken in to consideration and I would ask a second test before making a big fuss about it.

As an age advances their are changes in capacity of liver to produce the protein which usually tags to calcium and decreases the amount of free/ ionized calcium in blood. Some times their are minor variation in values due to technique of drawing the blood, or some time bit change it the machine used may show such variation

Hope it helps , please feel free to contact me in case of further concerns/ query.