what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment right lower lobe mean?

what does Minor linear atelectasis/fibrosis posterobasal segment right lower lobe mean?
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later

I will try to go through what you have written for you, feel free to ask any additional questions if anything remains unclear.

Atelectasis means collapse of part or all of the lung. In linear atelectasis the collapsed area of the lung forms a horizontal appearance, when looked at from the side look slide on a CD disk or dinner plate. It may occur because of blockage of a small bronchus ( one of the passages in the lung) which can happen in cases such as lower pneumonia, pulmonary embolism or hypoventilation ( ventilation is not adequate enough to allow the oxygen and carbon dioxide to exchange in the lung), postoperatively after surgery to the chest or abdomen.

Fibrosis refers to scarring, a healing or remnant after injury.

The lungs are divided in lobes anatomically. They are divided into segments functionally.

Treatment would depend on the underlying cause.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Follow-up: what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment right lower lobe mean? 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply. Would I need treatment for the condition? The Doctor only prescribed anti acid tablets for the sliding hiatus hernia. I have been having problems with Dyspnoea, a flutter in the middle of the chest and reflux. She did not mention about the atelectasis which was also mentioned on my scan report. I have had a stress test done as well and that was all clear, no heart problem or blocked arteries.

Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Hi, treatment usually depends on the cause. If it involves only a small area it may resolve without treatment. If there is an underlying cause it would have to be treated.

Treatment usually consists of chest physiotherapy to help the lungs to re expand and the use of certain medications such as bronchodilators if necessary. In some cases, obstructions (in the airways of the lung) are removed by bronchoscopy.

The dyspnoea may be related to the issues in the lung though there are other causes of dyspnoea.

I think the best thing to do would be to speak to your doctor to find out the extent of the atelectasis (whether it minor or major --the report indicated that it involved the lower aspect of the right lung towards the back), you also need to find out what is the suspected cause of the atelectasis.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Follow-up: what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment right lower lobe mean? 44 hours later
Hi thank you for your reply.

I am unsure what the cause is of the atelectasis. I had Bronchitis 2 years ago but I cant imagine it being that. Could the cause be from the sliding hiatus hernia?
Its seems to be irritating the vagus nerve so therefore the hernia could also put pressure on my lower lung. The linear atelectasis was reported as only minor.
I shall make a follow up appointment with my doctor. I was only concerned if it was a serious condition and can the atelectasis be healed.

Thank you for you help.
Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
hi, it would be unlikely that the hernia would cause the atelectasis or the bronchial infection that you had 2 yrs ago.
I am glad that it was reported as minor.

Atelectasis , especially minor atelectasis is unlikely to be permanant and in the case of minor atelectasis such as yours may actually resolve on its own.It would however be interesting to speak to your doctor to find out what he/ she thinks is the cause.

Wishing you the best