what causes discomfort under left armpit?

For the last couple of days I have been experiencing some mild discomfort in and under my left armpit. The sensation only lasts a second or two, but might occur 2 or 3 times a minute. It has persisted off and on a couple of days. There is absolutely no discomfort in the central portion of my chest, no chest pressure, no sweating or out of breath symptoms - only the intermittent feeling in my left armpit and far, far left side of the breast area. It occurs when I'm at rest, and does not get worse when I exert myself (e.g. running up/down stairs 4 or 5 times in succession). Coincidentally, I had a normal EKG a couple of weeks ago. I do have some history of sporadic GERD type symptoms, heartburn, gas, etc. that has affected me off and on for a number of years. I'm also prone to anxiety and have hypochondriacal tendencies. Wondering if my symptoms are related to GERD, or if you think they are more alarming. Thanks for your counsel.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Muscular pains,Anxiety Detailed Answer: Hi Dear Welcome to the XXXXXXX Probablity of being muscuular pains are more, And more over such symptoms are added more due to the anxiety of developing cardiac problem. Does not seems to be alarming. If the pain is not increasing during exertion then usually symptoms are not due to the cardiac problems provided the troponinT test is negative. Since symptoms are felt during rest while the brain is free to think ,then the possibilty of being more of muscular /anxiety origin. GERD do not appears to be important reason for such pricking, sporadic pains, You might be alrerady on some proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole or omeprazole. If some prokinetic agents (like itiopride) are added along with this PPI then your GERD symptoms will be relieved more. Hope the query is answered Please feel free for further clarification. Thanks