have had diarrhea accompanied with headache. How to cure it?

I have had the runs for about 11 days now. Mostly after I drink water, not eat food. Have had some headaches that are uncharacteristic for me and am pretty low on energy from time to time. Seems to be worse in the morning. Initially, bowel movements very watery, now they are more like very liquidy diarea(green). Reactions to liquids seems to be improving. Not running to the bathroom as much.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 11 minutes later

thanks for your health concerns. the vast majority of acute cases of diarrhea, meaning lasting less than 4 weeks, are infectious in nature, probably 90% of the cases. the most common organisms are viruses but bacteria and parasites are possible but significantly less common. they seem self limited meaning that your body gradually gets rid of the infection; however the intestines are sore after having the runs for several days and literally the lining of cells has to be replaced for you to absorb food properly. thats why some people have the runs for a longer period of time. typically absortion of fluids gets better and then gradually solids.

keep well hydrated, usually as I said most cases last less than 4 weeks; if diarrhea persist for a longer period of time then further investigation such as stool tests may be required

Truly yours

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN