diagnosed with sacroiliac joint. Advised rehab with pelvic joints exercise. MRI showed degenerative disc. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm not sure if this question is directed towards the correct specialist, but here is my question. I was diagnosed with Left sacroiliac joint pain/dysfunction. My Dr. ordered rehab which included exercises intended to rehab my pelvic joints. Rehab wasn't helping, so some months later an MRI was ordered. The MRI showed I had degenerative disc disease, bulging discs and annular tearing. If I would have received the MRI prior to starting rehab for pelvic dysfunction, would the type of rehab and exercises been different? It's my contention that I had disc problems from the onset, not pelvic dysfunction, and the rehab I received may have worsened the disc condition.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
In case of sacroiliac joint pain and dysfunction, the physical exercises that are recommended are to strengthen the muscles around that joint. These strengthening exercises are not likely to affect the bulging discs that you were having.
During the acute pain, the treatment in both the cases is rest, hot fomentation and taking a combination of mild pain killer with a muscle relaxant.
After the pain subsides, the back strengthening exercises are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist for a long term relief in disc prolapse.
The type of exercises would have been different and would have brought you an early symptomatic relief but the exercises you have done now are not likely to affect the disc problem that you are having.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.