Yellowish vaginal discharge, mild odor. Had received oral sex, partner had toothache. Why didn't metronidazole help?

Question
I have had light yellowish vaginal discharge for a few months now, it has a very mild odor. I have been examined and was told that i do not have any std's. Prior to this starting, I received oral sex, the guy was complaining he had a toothache the same day. My doctor prescribed me metronidazole but the discharge has not stopped. Any idea what could be wrong?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 2 hours later

Thank you for posting in the query.

Abnormal vaginal discharge is a very common phenomenon and consists of,
1. Excessive vaginal discharge.
2. Changes in discharge color.
3. Odor, itching, irritation, soreness or burning sensation of vagina and vulva.

In your case, yellowish discharge with mild odor points to an infection mostly a bacterial vaginosis for which you have already been treated with Metronidazole.

The other possibilities are Gonorrhoea, Chlamydial infections or Yeast infections.

I would suggest that you undergo a repeat evaluation with your gynecologist and get your vaginal discharge examined under microscope and for pH.

Kindly use barrier methods of contraception till the time that you are treated for the same.

I would suggest that you maintain good hygiene, keep your private area clean and dry and drink adequate amount of water.

Hope I have answered your query. Accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Yellowish vaginal discharge, mild odor. Had received oral sex, partner had toothache. Why didn't metronidazole help? 2 days later
Could receiveing oral sex from someone with periodontal disease cause an undetectable infection?

Because two different doctors offices have checked me and found no std's or infections, and there is no burning itching or discomfort. Also when i took the metronidazole it seemed as though the discharge decreased temporarily but it has never gone away completely.

Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 24 hours later

Thank you for the follow up question.

Most periodontal infections can be treated with a combination of Tetracyclines and Metronidazole. I would like to know if your partner was undergoing treatment when you had the sexual contact. If yes, going through the same regimen might help.

Your discharge could also be a normal excessive discharge which is seen in some women.

As I had advised before, an examination of your vaginal discharge would help to ascertain if it is an infection.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr Gowri